If you are looking for a fresh, light salad, this is it! Homemade dressing puts you in control of the sodium and added sugar, which are sneaky ingredients in most store-bought dressings!
For the Salad:
- 4 cups romaine lettuce, or your favorite leafy green vegetable
- 1 (20 ounce) can pineapple chunks in 100% fruit juice, drained (save ¼ cup of liquid for dressing)
- 2 tablespoons slivered almonds or chopped walnuts
For the Dressing:
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- ¼ cup juice drained from pineapple
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon your favorite mustard
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons vegetable or canola oil
For the salad:
- Rinse lettuce.
- Tear or cut lettuce into bite-sized pieces and place in medium bowl.
- Add pineapple and almonds or walnuts to the lettuce.
- Serve with dressing on the side.
- In medium (2 quart) bowl, mix together vinegar, reserved pineapple juice, Worcestershire sauce, mustard, and black pepper. Stir with a whisk or fork to mix well.
- Slowly add oil, stirring with a fork or whisk to blend.
- Substitute the romaine lettuce for your favorite leafy greens. We love kale, spinach, and spring mix greens!
- No walnuts? Use your favorite nuts and seeds for added flavor and healthy fats to keep you fuller for longer.
- For the dressing, all ingredients can be put into a clean jar with a tight-fitting lid and shaken well to blend. Leftover dressing can be refrigerated in the same jar.