Curry Chickpea Sandwich
Try this flavorful vegan option for a quick and satisfying lunch. It comes together in a snap and is delightfully tasty!
For the sandwich filling:
- 1 – 15 ounce can reduced sodium chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1/4 cup vegan mayo
- 1 small piece of celery, thinly sliced
- 1/8 cup red onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon cilantro, chopped (optional)
- 2 teaspoons of mild curry powder
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoon lemon juice or ½ of squeezed lemon
For each sandwich:
- 2 slices of bread
- 2 pieces of lettuce
- 1 slice of tomato (optional)
- Place chickpeas in a large bowl. Using a fork, mash most of the chickpeas leaving some large pieces for texture.
- Add the remaining filling ingredients to the bowl and mix well.
- Assemble each sandwich by toasting 2 slices of bread and layering each sandwich with 1/4th of the chickpea salad, lettuce, and tomato (if using). Top with the other piece of bread. Enjoy!
- Want more fruit in your diet? You can cut 8-12 grapes in half and add them in during step #2.
- Don’t like canned food? You can soak and cook your own chickpeas instead of using canned. About 1 1/2 cups cooked chickpeas is the same as a 15 ounce can.
- Any mayonnaise can be used if you aren’t following a vegan diet.
Nutrition facts panel for the curry chickpea sandwich
Interested in more recipes, cooking and exercise videos? Or Sign Up for our Food Talk eNewsletter and find out if you are eligible for online classes.
For recipes and more: