Whip up a delicious meatless meal in just 20 minutes! Packed with flavor and protein you’ll want to double the recipe so there will be plenty of leftovers.
- 1 cup quinoa, uncooked
- 2 cups low sodium vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped, divided use
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 2/3 cup water
- 2-3 bay leaves, dried
- 1 (15 ounce) can reduced sodium black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro (optional)
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1/4 cup bell pepper, diced
- 1 medium tomato, sliced
- 1 avocado, sliced
- Prepare quinoa according to package directions using the low sodium broth in place of water. Once cooked, cover the pot and let sit off heat for 5-10 minutes.
- In a different pan over medium heat, add 1 tablespoon of oil. Sauté 3/4th of the chopped onion for 4-5 minutes or until soft. Add the chopped garlic to the pan and sauté for an additional 30 seconds.
- Add water, black beans, bay leaves, cilantro, and cumin to the pan with sautéed onions and garlic. Bring mixture to a boil, then reduce heat to low simmer. Cook beans uncovered for 15 minutes or until most of the water has absorbed. Beans should be slightly thick.
- Pour lime juice into bean mixture. Stir and remove from heat.
- Assemble bowls by equally dividing portions of quinoa, black bean mixture, uncooked onion, bell peppers, tomato, and avocado. Enjoy!
- Load your bowl with your favorite veggies! We like corn, lettuce, or even mushrooms.
- Like it hot? Try adding 1/4 teaspoon of mild chili powder or 1/8 teaspoon of cayenne to turn this dish into a spicy bowl.
- Don’t like canned food? Soak and cook your own black beans. Any leftovers freeze well for up to 6 months.
Nutrition facts panel for the Black Bean & Quinoa Bowl