Featuring flavors of the southwest, this yummy chili is a complete meal in a bowl! Try topping it your way with salsa verde, hot sauce, lime slices, cilantro, avocado or plain non-fat yogurt.
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1 large onion (chopped)
- 1 teaspoon garlic (minced)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano (optional)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 can fat-free, reduced sodium broth, vegetable (for a vegetarian/vegan option) or chicken (14.5 oz. )
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup salsa, mild
- 1 can diced tomatoes with juice, reduced sodium (14.5 oz. )
- 1 can diced green chilies, mild (4 oz. )
- 2 cups frozen corn (thawed)
- 1 can white beans, drained and rinsed (15 oz. )
- 1 package fresh baby spinach (5-6 oz.)
- black pepper (to taste)
- Heat oil in large pan. Cook onions until soft. Add minced garlic, oregano (if using), chili powder and cumin. Cook 1 more minute.
- Stir in broth, water, salsa, tomatoes, green chilies, and corn. Bring to a boil, then simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add beans and spinach. Simmer 5 minutes. Add pepper to taste. Enjoy!
- Make a meaty version of this chili- add1-2 cups of any cooked chicken or ground turkey.
- Want it a little soupier? Add more water, milk, a second can of diced tomatoes with juice or another can of low sodium broth.
- Top it your way! Try salsa verde, hot sauce, lime slices, cilantro, avocado, or plain non-fat yogurt.
For recipes and more: