Also called Cowboy Caviar, this homemade dip will spice up your next gathering!
- 1 can black-eyed peas, drained and rinsed (15.5 oz.)
- 1⁄3 cup diced green onions
- 1⁄3 cup diced green bell pepper
- 1 small tomato, diced
- 1⁄2 bunch fresh cilantro
- 3 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 teaspoon canola or vegetable oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt-free seasoning
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- Rinse black-eyed peas into a colander and then pour into medium bowl.
- Rinse green onion. Cut off ends. Slice into thin pieces to make 1/3 cup. Add to black-eyed peas.
- Rinse bell pepper. Place on cutting board. Cut off the top. Remove seeds inside. Dice into small pieces. Add to black-eyed pea mixture.
- Rinse tomato. Remove stem and core. Dice into small pieces. Add to black-eyed pea mixture.
- Rinse cilantro. Remove stems. Chop leaves into small pieces. Add to black-eyed pea mixture.
- Combine lime juice, oil, salt-free seasoning, and black pepper in small bowl. Stir well.
- Pour lime juice mixture over black-eyed pea mixture in medium bowl. Stir well.
- Serve as a salad or with baked flour tortilla chips.
1/2 cup vegetables
Interested in more recipes, cooking and exercise videos? Or Sign Up for our Food Talk eNewsletter and learn if you are eligible for free online classes.
For recipes and more: