Looking for a perfect blend of vegetables and beans? Try this delicious stew which provides a yummy blend of flavors while providing lots of protein, fiber and vitamins.
- 1 cup dried beans such as Navy, Butter, or Gungo beans
- 1/2 can (13.66-ounce can) Lite Coconut Milk
- 1 medium Yukon Gold potato
- 2 medium carrots
- 1 small yam or sweet potato
- 3 teaspoons (about 3 sprigs) fresh thyme (2 teaspoons dried thyme)
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 4 cups water
- Wash beans and rinse beans thoroughly under running water to remove any residue, look through beans to ensure no hard particles like rocks are found.
- Place dried beans in bowl and cover with just enough water to cover, set aside to soak overnight (for quicker and even cooking time). Before using in recipe, drain and rinse beans.
- Place beans in slow cooker.
- Open can of coconut milk and pour in the slow cooker over the beans.
- Wash fresh thyme, gently rubbing leaves under running water. Chop fresh thyme and add thyme in slow cooker.
- Wash produce thoroughly under running water.
- Peel and cut potato, carrot, chayote, and yam into 1- inch cubes. Place in slow-cooker.
- Add onion powder, garlic powder, and black pepper into slow cooker.
- Add water to slow-cooker.
- Place lid on slow-cooker and cook on high for 6-8 hours until tender.
- Canned beans work great with this recipe! Just drain and rinse and reduce the amount of water to 2 cups. For best taste, the recommended beans are: Navy, Butter, or Gungo beans
- Try adding a couple drops of hot sauce for a flavor boost.
Posted: Jan. 27, 2021