Vegetable Gumbo Soup with Brown Rice
This quick and easy vegetable soup is ready in a hurry but tastes like it simmered all day!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 sweet onion, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1/3 cup whole grain instant brown rice
- 1 (32 ounce) container reduced sodium vegetable broth
- 2 cups frozen mixed vegetables
- 1 1/2 cups frozen okra
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can no-salt-added diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- Heat olive oil in an electric skillet over medium (350°F) heat.
- Add onion and bell pepper and cook for 5 minutes or until softened.
- Add rice, cook 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Stir in vegetable broth, frozen mixed vegetables, frozen okra, tomatoes, Italian seasoning, pepper, and garlic powder. Simmer, covered, for 20 minutes.
- Any leftover or frozen vegetables can be substituted for the mixed vegetables.
- Fresh onions and green peppers can be chopped ahead of time and frozen for later use.
- The frozen carrots can be used for this and the Chicken Pot Pie recipe. For menu planning purposes, make them both the same week.
- Add a dash of cayenne pepper or hot pepper sauce for a spicy gumbo.
Interested in more recipes, cooking and exercise videos? Or Sign Up for our Food Talk eNewsletter and find out if you are eligible for online classes.
For recipes and more: