Vegetable Gumbo Soup with Brown Rice
This quick and easy vegetable soup is ready in a hurry but tastes like it simmered all day!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 sweet onion, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1/3 cup whole grain instant brown rice
- 1 (32 ounce) container reduced sodium vegetable broth
- 2 cups frozen mixed vegetables
- 1 1/2 cups frozen okra
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can no-salt-added diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- Heat olive oil in an electric skillet over medium (350°F) heat.
- Add onion and bell pepper and cook for 5 minutes or until softened.
- Add rice, cook 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Stir in vegetable broth, frozen mixed vegetables, frozen okra, tomatoes, Italian seasoning, pepper, and garlic powder. Simmer, covered, for 20 minutes.
- Any leftover or frozen vegetables can be substituted for the mixed vegetables.
- Fresh onions and green peppers can be chopped ahead of time and frozen for later use.
- The frozen carrots can be used for this and the Chicken Pot Pie recipe. For menu planning purposes, make them both the same week.
- Add a dash of cayenne pepper or hot pepper sauce for a spicy gumbo.
For recipes and more: