Green Salad with Pineapple
If you are looking for a fresh, light salad, this is it! Homemade dressing puts you in control of the sodium and added sugar, which are sneaky ingredients in most store-bought dressings!
For the Salad:
- 4 cups romaine lettuce, or your favorite leafy green vegetable
- 1 (20 ounce) can pineapple chunks in 100% fruit juice, drained (save ¼ cup of liquid for dressing)
- 2 tablespoons slivered almonds or chopped walnuts
For the Dressing:
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- ¼ cup juice drained from pineapple
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon your favorite mustard
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons vegetable or canola oil
For the salad:
- Rinse lettuce.
- Tear or cut lettuce into bite-sized pieces and place in medium bowl.
- Add pineapple and almonds or walnuts to the lettuce.
- Serve with dressing on the side.
- In medium (2 quart) bowl, mix together vinegar, reserved pineapple juice, Worcestershire sauce, mustard, and black pepper. Stir with a whisk or fork to mix well.
- Slowly add oil, stirring with a fork or whisk to blend.
- Substitute the romaine lettuce for your favorite leafy greens. We love kale, spinach, and spring mix greens!
- No walnuts? Use your favorite nuts and seeds for added flavor and healthy fats to keep you fuller for longer.
- For the dressing, all ingredients can be put into a clean jar with a tight-fitting lid and shaken well to blend. Leftover dressing can be refrigerated in the same jar.
Interested in more recipes, cooking and exercise videos? Or Sign Up for our Food Talk eNewsletter and find out if you are eligible for online classes.
For recipes and more: