Looking for an easy, healthy and budget-friendly meal your whole family will love? Try this tasty taco recipe.
Serves 4 (2 Tacos Each)
- 1 small onion
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 1 (16 ounce) can low-sodium refried beans
- 8 taco shells
- ½ small head of lettuce
- 2 tomatoes
- ½ cup 2% shredded cheese of choice
- taco sauce (optional)
- Wash hands with soap and water.
- Gently rub onion under cold running water. Peel and chop onion.
- Heat skillet over medium-high heat. Add oil. Saute chopped onion in vegetable oil for 3 minutes until softened.
- Wipe top of refried beans can with a damp paper towel and open can carefully.
- Stir refried beans in with the onions. Heat thoroughly for 5 minutes on medium
- Spread refried bean mixture in taco shell
- Gently rub lettuce and tomatoes under cold, running water. Chop 1/2 head of lettuce and tomatoes.
- Sprinkle tacos with shredded cheese, lettuce, chopped tomatoes and taco sauce, as desired. Enjoy!
- We like corn tortillas because they have less sodium than flour tortillas. If you’re watching your sodium intake, look for simple swaps like corn tortillas or low-sodium refried beans to reduce your overall intake.
- Add bell peppers to this recipe to load up on veggies.
- Looking for an easy way to include your children while preparing this recipe? Have kids tear up lettuce leaves for a colorful taco topping.
Recipe Source: USDA MyPlate
Posted on May 17, 2022