Getting kids fueled and ready to take on the day can be a challenge. Check out this blog for some quick and healthy breakfast ideas that will help your kids start the day off right!
Why is breakfast so important for kids?
Breakfast is an opportunity to begin your child’s day on a healthy, happy note. The 2020-2025 Dietary Guidelines for Americans include dietary recommendations to promote a healthy lifestyle for all ages including children and adolescents. Foods such as fruits, vegetables, whole grains, and dairy all contain important nutrients that your child needs throughout the day.
While every meal is important, food choices made in the morning can affect the decisions that are made for the rest of the day. Breakfast time can also be empowering for your child, especially those who are older and are able to be a part of the food prep.
Preparation is Key
Breakfast can be a challenging meal for many parents. Mornings can get hectic quickly and there are many factors to be considered. Having a plan in place can make a huge difference!
Here are a few ways that you can prepare in advance for easy, nutritious, and hassle-free breakfasts.
- Fruits, vegetables, protein, grains, and dairy– no food group is off-limits for breakfast!
- Fruits and veggies are a great way to bring color to the breakfast plate and are packed with vitamins and minerals for the day.
- Remember to focus on whole grains sources like whole-wheat bread and oatmeal or pancakes and muffins made with whole wheat flour.
- Low-fat (1%) and fat-free milk and yogurt are great sources of both dairy and protein for your child. Lactose-free options are available when needed. For more information on the benefits of dairy in your child’s diet, click here.
- Kids can get involved in planning for breakfast by helping make the grocery list. Going grocery shopping and assisting in prepping food for the week can be a great learning experience for them, too! Check out this blog for age-appropriate ways for kids to get involved in the kitchen.
- Plan out quick and easy “equations” for breakfast- ones that can be made the morning of or prepped before! If you are having trouble envisioning some balanced combinations, check out the ones we have created below. Feel free to mix and match items according to your child’s preferences.
Have a little more time on your hands?
Here are some additional breakfast recipes we love! They may call for a little more preparation, but we are sure that it will be time well spent with your family.
- 6 Best Pancake Recipes
- Very Blueberry Buttermilk Muffins
- Apple and Veggie Omelet
- Yogurt Crunch Parfait
Written by Darci Bell, RDN, LD | Edited by Leslie Davis, RDN, LD, CDCES , and the Nutrition Education Team
Posted on: February 15, 2021Be Creative Drink Water Focus on Health How to Cook Better Invite Your Kids Plan Ahead Save Money Shop Smarter Store Food Uncategorized