A free, fun game of mealtime questions can be a creative way to bond over mealtimes. You may even learn something new about the family members with whom you’ve probably been spending a LOT of time this year.
Thoughtful questions can also slow mealtimes down for an experience that can be savored, rather than rushed. Try asking your loved ones the questions below to help turn mealtime into a mindful time in which we focus our attention on the present moment.
Questions related to food:
- What is your favorite thing about this meal?
- What’s your favorite food?
- What is your favorite pizza topping?
- Do you prefer baking or cooking?
- What is one food/food dish you wish you knew how to prepare well?
- What is your favorite family recipe?
- Eliminate one: hamburger, hot dog, pizza.
- Eliminate one: coffee or chocolate.
- If you could only eat one meal for the rest of your life, what would it be?
- If you could share a meal with any 4 individuals, living or dead, who would they be?
- What’s the most unusual thing you’ve ever eaten?
- What celebrity would you like to meet for a cup of coffee?
- If you could only eat one food for the rest of your life, what would it be?
Questions not related to food:
- If you could choose to do anything for a day, what would it be?
- What would you sing at Karaoke night?
- Which would you rather do: wash dishes, mow the lawn, clean the bathroom, or vacuum the house?
- Who is your favorite author?
- What are your hobbies?
What is the best gift you have been given?
- If you could go back in time to change one thing, what would it be?
- What would you do if you won the lottery?
- What’s your favorite holiday?
- What’s the most daring thing you’ve ever done?
- What was the last book you read?
- What’s your favorite movie?
- What are you most grateful for this year?
- What was your first job?
- What is your favorite family holiday tradition?
- What do you regret not doing in the last year?
- What’s on your bucket list?
- If you had unlimited money to start your own business, what would it be?
- If you could time travel, when and where would you go?
- If you could do anything, besides what you’re doing now, what would you do?
- Who knows you best?
- What’s your favorite way to spend a day off?
- If you were ruler of your own country what would be the first law you would introduce?
Questions for children:
- What is your favorite cartoon character?
- If you could meet any superhero, who would it be?
- If you could have any superpower, what would it be?
- Would you rather be able to fly or be able to turn invisible?
- What is your favorite book?
- What is your favorite holiday?
- What’s your favorite ice cream topping?
- What’s your favorite game to play?
What questions can you come up with?
Written by Taylor Newman, PhD Candidate | Edited by Leslie Davis, RDN, LD, CDCES