A little sweet, a little savory… This omelet is the yummiest balance of flavors! The fiber and protein in this recipe will help give you a steady flow of energy on a busy day.
- ¼ cup yellow or sweet onion
- ¼ cup green bell pepper
- ½ cup apple of choice
- ¼ cup tomato of choice
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon oil
- 4 eggs (whole or liquid)
- Wash hands thoroughly with soap and water.
- Rinse onion, bell pepper, apple, and tomato thoroughly under running water.
- Peel and dice onion into ½-inch pieces and place in a medium bowl.
- Dice bell peppers and tomato into ½-inch pieces and place in bowl with onion.
- Cut around apple core and dice apple into ½-inch pieces. Place in bowl with vegetable mixture.
- Add garlic powder, black pepper, and salt to vegetable and apple mix and stir to coat with spices.
- Heat a nonstick, medium size skillet on medium heat. Add oil. After 30 seconds, add vegetable and apple mix to skillet. Cook until vegetables and apple are soft (about 3-4 minutes).
- In a bowl, crack and whisk eggs. Wash hands thoroughly after cracking eggs. Add egg to veggies in skillet and place whisk and egg bowl in the sink to wash.
- Cook omelet about 2 minutes and flip.
- Cook 2 more minutes. Ensure eggs are fully cooked with an internal temperature of 160-degrees Fahrenheit for at least 60 seconds. Fold omelet in half and serve immediately. Note: Consuming raw or undercooked eggs may increase your risk of foodborne illness, especially if you have certain medical conditions.
- Replacing the apple with in-season fruits like pear, plum, or peach is delicious! If using canned fruit, look for fruits packed in 100% fruit juice. Drain, pat dry, and add just before adding the eggs.
- Personalize it! Try adding other vegetables that you have on hand.
- Top with scallions and tomatoes for a beautiful garnish that is perfect for breakfast, brunch, or a light dinner.