Apples, cinnamon, and whole-grain bread make for a delicious dessert that is healthy too!
1 whole egg
1 egg white
1 cup skim milk
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1⁄2 teaspoon ground cloves or allspice
6 slices whole-wheat bread
3 medium apples
1⁄4 cup raisins or dried cranberries (optional)
1⁄4 cup chopped walnuts, pecans, or almonds (optional)
- Pre-heat oven to 350ºF.
- Spray a 9×9-inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, whisk together egg, egg white, milk, brown sugar, vanilla, cinnamon, and ground cloves/allspice.
- Cut bread into 1/2-inch cubes.
- Core apples and cut into 1/2-inch cubes.
- Add bread and apple cubes to a large bowl.
- Add dried fruit and nuts – if desired. Mix well.
- Pour mixture into a prepared baking dish and bake in preheated oven for 40-45 minutes.