If you are a fan of Banana Splits, try this delicious healthy and easy recipe. This homemade banana split has 10 grams of sugar per serving, while a restaurant banana split might have up to 105 grams of sugar.  Small changes add up!
- 1 large banana
- 6 strawberries
- 1 (20-ounce) can pineapple chunks (in 100% fruit juice) or 12 pineapple chunks
- ½ cup chocolate chips, melted
- ¼ cup peanuts, chopped
(Also needed: 6 bamboo skewers)
- Wash hands with soap and water.
- Gently rub the banana and strawberries under cold running water. Peel and slice banana into 1-inch round pieces and slice strawberries in half lengthwise for 12 pieces of every fruit.
- Wipe the top of the pineapple chunk can with a damp paper towel. Open can carefully. Strain out 12 pieces of pineapple and refrigerate leftover pineapple.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- To each skewer, alternate two pieces each of banana, pineapple, and strawberry. Place kebab on the baking sheet.
- Repeat process for the other skewers.
- Drizzle melted chocolate over fruit and sprinkle with peanuts.
- Freeze and serve (if you are impatient like us, then enjoy kebabs immediately)!
- Using a baking sheet will help the fruit freeze the same and keep them from sticking. No room for a baking sheet in the freezer? Place the kebabs side-by-side in a gallon size zip-top bag before drizzling. Lay them flat in the freezer and drizzle with chocolate and peanuts before serving. Be sure to wait a couple minutes to allow chocolate to harden and enjoy!
- Bought too many bananas? Freeze peeled bananas whole or sliced when they get brown spots. Use them in smoothies, in banana bread, or on top of oatmeal!
- Peeling bananas and pulling off strings is a great fine motor activity for little hands. By the way, did you know those strings have a name? Phloem bundles!
- Heat chocolate chips in a microwave-safe bowl to quickly melt the chocolate. Heat for 10-15 second bursts, stirring in between until just melted.
Rebecca Hardeman, Clayton County Extension Just for the Health of It: Home Edition Series