These flavorful muffins are a great way to get your kids (and yourself!) to eat more vegetables without even noticing it!
1 can sliced carrots, drained (14 1/2 oz.)
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1⁄3 cup vegetable oil
3/4 cup sugar
1 cup all-purpose flour
3/4 cup whole wheat flour
1 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
1⁄2 teaspoon salt
Non-stick spray or muffin liners (12)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Drain carrots of salty liquid and pour onto a dinner-sized plate.
- Sprinkle cinnamon over carrots.
- Mash with a fork until all pieces of carrot are about the size of peas.
- Put mashed carrots in a medium-size mixing bowl.
- Break egg into a separate small bowl and mix well with a fork.
- Add oil to egg and mix well.
- Add oil/egg mixture to carrots.
- Add sugar and stir well.
- In a separate bowl, stir together flour, baking soda, and salt.
- Add flour mixture to carrot mixture and stir until moist.
- Pour batter into muffin tins sprayed with nonstick spray or lined – about half full.
- Bake 25-30 minutes. (To make 24 mini muffins, bake for about 20 minutes.) Test center of one muffin with a toothpick. If it comes out clean, the muffins are done.
- Cool 5 minutes. Best served warm.
1 oz. grains
- Consider reducing the sugar content by using 1/2 cup sugar and adding a mashed ripe banana