Frittatas are baked egg dishes that make for a nutritious meal any time of day. The golden top will puff beautifully in the oven. Serve with fruit or a side salad.
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed
- 6 large eggs
- 2 egg whites
- 2 tablespoons skim milk
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 /4 cup shredded extra sharp cheddar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper or a dash of hot sauce
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Coat a 2-quart baking dish (8 inches by 8 inches or pie dish) with non-stick cooking spray.
- Squeeze thawed spinach between 2 layers of paper towels to dry thoroughly. Use your fingers or a fork to break up any clumps of spinach. Set aside.
- Whisk eggs, egg whites and milk together in a mixing bowl until combined. Add spinach, onion, cheese, salt, pepper and cayenne pepper. Stir to combine. Pour into prepared baking dish.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until puffed and golden.
- An 8 or 9 inch cast iron skillet can be used instead of the 8 x 8 square baking dish.
- Frittatas are great for using up left over vegetables. Some of our other favorites include: bell peppers, mushrooms, chopped broccoli, or jalapeno.
- Prepare this dish at the beginning of the week for a quick on-the-go breakfast option for busy mornings!
Nutrition facts panel for the Oven Spinach Frittata