It’s pizza night! Instead of picking up the phone, get the family involved and roll up your sleeves to make your own. Everyone can pitch in by cutting up the veggie toppings, kneading and rolling out the dough, and of course–eating the delicious pizza creation!
To make the dough:
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 envelope (0.25 ounces, about 2 ¼ teaspoons) fast-acting yeast
- 2/3 cup hot water (125-130 degrees Fahrenheit)
- 1 cup whole wheat flour (for steps 3 and 7)
- Cooking spray
To make the sauce:
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce, no salt added, combined with any or all of the following seasonings:
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon oregano
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon basil
To make the topping:
- 3/4 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- Up to 3/4 cup diced vegetables like red or green bell peppers, onions, or spinach
- In a large mixing bowl, combine all purpose flour and 1 cup whole wheat flour. Add salt, sugar, and yeast. Mix well to blend.
- Pour hot water into dry mixture and stir to form a dough. Make sure all flour in the bowl is mixed in.
- Spread about ¼ cup whole wheat flour on work surface. Place dough on floured surface and knead gently until dough is smooth and elastic. If dough is too sticky, add more flour, about ¼ cup at a time. Kneading usually takes about five minutes.
- Spray medium-sized bowl with a light coat of cooking spray and place dough in bowl. Turn it over once to coat the surface of the dough. Cover with a clean dish towel and allow to rise at room temperature until the dough doubles in size, about 10-15 minutes.
- While dough is rising, clean off work surface and preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- When dough has doubled in size, punch the dough in the center with your fist to release air bubbles.
- Spread about ¼ cup whole wheat flour onto clean work surface. Roll dough into a 12-inch circle if using a pizza pan (or a rectangle if using a baking sheet).
- Spray pizza pan with non-stick spray. Place dough on pan.
- Spread sauce evenly over dough, leaving ½ inch around the edge. Top with mozzarella cheese and vegetables.
- Bake at 400 degrees Fahrenheit for 20 minutes or until crust is golden brown. Slice and serve hot.
- This recipe was adapted from a Georgia 4-H favorite pizza recipe!
- Make it a personal pizza by splitting the dough into four parts. Each person will have fun putting on their own toppings. Baking time may change, so remove from the oven when the crusts turn golden brown and cheese is bubbly.
- The tomato sauce is flavorful with the spices and herbs–no need for extra salt! Refrigerate the extra sauce and use it as a dipping sauce later.