Mac and cheese is a staple on Southern tables. Our version comes together in one skillet, which means less dishes to wash and more time to enjoy this delicious meal with family and friends.
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- ¼ cup minced onion
- 1 ½ cups water
- 2 cups uncooked whole grain elbow or shell macaroni
- 2 cups chopped broccoli florets
- ½ cup plain Greek nonfat yogurt
- ½ cup light sour cream
- 1 cup reduced fat cheddar cheese, block or pre-shredded, divided
- In medium (10-inch) non-stick skillet, heat oil on medium heat.
- Add dry mustard and mix.
- Add onion. Cook until translucent, about 3 minutes.
- Add water. Cover and bring to a boil.
- Add uncooked macaroni, reduce heat to medium. Cover and simmer for 10-15 minutes or until macaroni is tender. Stir occasionally.
- Add broccoli, yogurt, and sour cream, mixing well. Cover, reduce heat to low, and simmer for five minutes.
- Remove lid and add ½ cup shredded cheese. Mix well.
- Top macaroni mixture with remaining ½ cup shredded cheese. Replace lid and allow cheese to melt for five minutes.
- Remove from heat and serve warm.
- We like fresh broccoli florets. If using frozen, defrost and drain before adding to skillet.
- Broccoli can be replaced with your favorite veggies. We like spinach, zucchini, yellow squash, or cauliflower.
- Fun fact: plain Greek yogurt has almost double the protein and half the sugar of regular yogurt. It is the perfect tangy substitute for sour cream. Regular nonfat plain yogurt can be substituted for the Greek yogurt.
- Amp up the flavor with a pinch of paprika, ground black pepper, hot sauce, or your favorite spice!