Oven Spinach Frittata
Frittatas are baked egg dishes that make for a nutritious meal any time of day. The golden top will puff beautifully in the oven. Serve with fruit or a side salad.
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed
- 6 large eggs
- 2 egg whites
- 2 tablespoons skim milk
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 /4 cup shredded extra sharp cheddar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper or a dash of hot sauce
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Coat a 2-quart baking dish (8 inches by 8 inches or pie dish) with non-stick cooking spray.
- Squeeze thawed spinach between 2 layers of paper towels to dry thoroughly. Use your fingers or a fork to break up any clumps of spinach. Set aside.
- Whisk eggs, egg whites and milk together in a mixing bowl until combined. Add spinach, onion, cheese, salt, pepper and cayenne pepper. Stir to combine. Pour into prepared baking dish.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until puffed and golden.
- An 8 or 9 inch cast iron skillet can be used instead of the 8 x 8 square baking dish.
- Frittatas are great for using up left over vegetables. Some of our other favorites include: bell peppers, mushrooms, chopped broccoli, or jalapeno.
- Prepare this dish at the beginning of the week for a quick on-the-go breakfast option for busy mornings!
Nutrition facts panel for the Oven Spinach Frittata
Interested in more recipes, cooking and exercise videos? Or Sign Up for our Food Talk eNewsletter and learn if you are eligible for free online classes.
For recipes and more: