Also called “Panzanella,” this classic Italian bread and tomato salad celebrates summer’s best, but is still hearty enough to eat as a light supper or lunch!
- 4 slices whole grain bread
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 1 cup green beans
- 1 medium zucchini
- 1 yellow summer squash
- 2 medium ripe tomatoes, chopped
- 1 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella
- 1 cup lite Italian dressing
- 1 dash of black pepper (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Cut bread into cubes and place on baking sheet. Drizzle vegetable oil over bread and toss to spread evenly. Bake for about 8 minutes, until bread is golden brown
- Rinse and dry green beans. Cut in half and place in a microwave safe bowl with 1/4 cup water. Microwave for 3 minutes then immediately put green beans in ice water to stop cooking. Set aside.
- Cut zucchini and summer squash in half length-wise, then slice
- Combine squash, zucchini, green beans, tomatoes, and mozzarella cheese. Pour Italian dressing over vegetables and toss to coat evenly. Add roasted bread cubes right before serving.
- In a pinch, use salad croutons, but be aware that they may increase sodium!