If you like things ooey gooey and extra fruity, this recipe is for you.
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/4 cups light buttermilk (1.5% milkfat)
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract (optional)
- 1 (12 ounce) package frozen blueberries, thawed
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Whisk together flour, brown sugar, baking powder, and salt in a medium mixing bowl. Whisk together buttermilk, oil, and vanilla (if using) in a small mixing bowl. Whisk buttermilk mixture into the flour mixture.
- In a 9-inch square baking dish, melt butter in the oven. Once the butter is melted, remove the baking dish from the oven.
- Carefully pour the batter over the melted butter in the hot baking dish. Sprinkle the blueberries evenly over the batter. Bake for 50 minutes. Serve hot, warm, or at room temperature.
- Be sure to thaw your frozen fruit and drain. Too much moisture could result in a soggy recipe.
- Mix it up by using diced peaches or sliced strawberries!
- For a little variety, add a sprinkle of lemon zest, chopped walnuts, or raisins.