Whether you are searching for a delicious accompaniment for your meal, a perfect bread for any spread, or just a stand-alone yummy treat, this yeast free skillet flatbread is the one for you.
- 2 cups plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 3 ½ tablespoons unsweetened applesauce
- ¾ cup unsweetened non-dairy milk, such as Almond
- ½ tablespoon oil, divided
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour for kneading and rolling
- Wash hands thoroughly with soap and water.
- In a bowl, stir together 2 cups and 2 tablespoons flour, salt, applesauce, and milk.
- Sprinkle 1-2 tablespoons flour on a clean, flat surface and place dough mixture on top. Lightly knead until smooth. To knead the dough, push it down and away from you using the heel of your hands. Fold the dough in half and repeat until dough is smooth. *If too sticky, add more flour during kneading process in 1 tablespoon amounts.
- Cover with a clean towel or plastic wrap and let sit for 30 minutes.
- Place the dough on a clean surface lightly sprinkled with 2 tablespoons flour and cut into 4 pieces; roll each piece into a ball; then roll out each ball into a flat piece (1/8 inch thick). Sprinkle surface of dough with flour as needed to prevent sticking.
- In a nonstick pan, heat on medium heat for 2-3 minutes and add ½ teaspoon oil.
- Place one piece of dough into the pan and cook 1 at a time for about 1-2 minutes on each side (bread should be brown on each side). If big bubbles form in the bread, gently pierce with a fork to let air escape.
- Repeat with each flatbread portion and enjoy!
- This recipe is vegan and can be used as the base for many other recipes! Use it as a pizza crust, serve it with stew, or use as a sandwich bread (try it with our Greens and Beans Dip).
- Raw (uncooked) flour may contain Salmonella, a food bacterium that can cause illness. Always clean surfaces and wash hands with warm, soapy water after coming in contact with raw flour.